A big 1.2.3 Wolf goes to Aaron and Melanie who were recently received the Grey Wolf Award which is the highest award you can earn in the Cub Scout section. And let me tell you, there is a lot they did you earn this. Earning their Gold Boomerang, outdoor activities, demonstrate leadership qualities by attending Pack Council and earning Level 2 achievement badges. They're also the second to achieve this award. Please join me in congratulating them... maybe check out the banner on our website.
We had a second annual trivia night in late July and in my opinion it was a great night and I feel that those who couldn't make it missed out. Hopefully we will see you next year. I trust that everybody got to know each other a little better, got to know some new families, after all that is what is was about. I've already got some ideas for next year, such as making the answers shorter and reducing the number of multi part answers, and would love to hear your ideas.
I'd like to welcome our newest members to the Group - Jared, Cameron and Ben in Cubs. Please make them feel welcome.
Over the last weekend I had the pleasure of accompanying nine of our youth members on the annual Sydney North Region Alpine trip. This was a privilege for me because as Group Leader I don't get to go on many of the cool (no pun intended) and exciting activities like the other leaders. I was the only leader from our group and I would like to say what a wonderful time I had and what a pleasure it was spending the weekend skiing with our youth, even if we got limited sleep and had to get up at 5 am. They had a ball, were very well behaved and were a credit to our group. They are a credit to their leaders and it is times like this were I see how strongly our leaders instill the scouting principles in our youth.
There are a couple of reminders that I need to pass on.
- Quarter 2 Fee Statements have been issued and were due 14 July 2011. Immediate payment is due on all outstanding amounts. Please talk to me if you unable to pay your outstanding balance, all conversations will be in the strictest of confidences.
- Job Week is well and truly over for another year. Thanks to everyone to participated, raised money for the group and also helped raise the profile of scouts. Job Week cards must be returned to your Section Leader immediately. We are required by law to return these cards.
- All youth members should have their Group Shirt, the sporty red and blue number with the group logo on it, please talk to your Section Leader if you don't. They are great to wear on outings and activities were full uniform isn't needed.
- The Netball seasons is well and truly into the final games and that means our netball barbecues have drawn to a close and this is the time of the year the parent committee takes stock of the fundraising that have been performed and families individual contribution. This is being tallied against fundraising records and all families can expect to hear over the next week or so what their fundraising contribution has been to date. Bear in mind that there are only a couple of fundraising opportunities left, so if you haven't met your minimum contribution then you may want to think about your options. Again, please contact me (or Tracey) if you are having difficulty meeting your minimum contribution.
- Whilst not quite a reminder, I'd like to quickly mention bringing friends to scouts. All of the leaders encourage you to bring your friends along with you its a great way to share your experiences with them and to show them what scouting is all about. We even have bring a friend nights throughout the year. What I would like to ask is that if you do bring a friend along, let your leader and me know before hand and introduce them to your leader on the night. There is nothing worse than wondering "who's that and why are they here?" Thanks for your support on this one.
A couple of items to put in your diary, if you haven't already.
- Bunnings BBQs Oct 15th and Nov 12th
- Warehouse shopping tour Nov 12th
- Group Camp is coming up from 24 to 26 September. This is a fantastic camp for the entire family. Canoeing. Bush Walking. Bird Watching. Swimming. Anything You Want To Do. More details to follow.
- Group Christmas Party on 11 December. More details to follow.
- A big thank you to all of the families who have given up their time on the weekend to help with fundraising activities, your support is appreciated.
- The Pub2Pub Fun Run is coming up on 28 Aug 2011 and we are running a water station again. This is a great morning especially for the younger members, they really enjoy themselves. We hand out cups of water to runners and get to cheer them on. It is an easy and fun way to add to you minimum contribution hours.
- Our monthly newsletter from advantagecard can be found on our website (www.brookvalecurlcurlscouts.com/fundraising.html) please a moment to check out what's new.
- Further to Rock's note about AJ2013, the Committee would like to ask that all members help support our Scout members attending the Jamboree. Your help with fundraising is needed even if your child is not attending the Jamboree as each member will get the opportunity to attend a major event that requires fundraising. Funds raised from the two Bunnnings BBQs and the warehouse shopping tour go towards our Scouting youth attending the Jamboree
- We hope to see you at our parent meeting held the 3rd Tuesday of each month 7.30pm
Thanks all from me, until next time.
Yours in Scouting,